"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." TS Eliot

Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 17 Ode to Molly

Today's walk was 59 minutes and change and 5,617 steps.  Molly accompanied me.  She was as enthusiastic as ever.  I started off at a run and she kept looking at me as if wondering, could this be true?  Are we running?  This is so fun!  I slowed down pretty quickly but she was still as happy as could be.  She never complains and looks at me like "another walk?  are you kidding?"  That is one of the many glorious things about dog ownership.  I have had two other very special dogs in my life.  And all three of these dogs have given their unconditional love and enthusiasm no matter what the circumstance.











There is a very sad poem I love called Good Boy which I think captures the essence of dog ownership.  Remember it's a sad one so get out a hanky.  I have no idea who wrote it. 

Small companion,
Sometimes I think I see you stir

From your pallet on the floor
and in the moment before the mind

rights itself, I call your name
the way I said it to myself the night

I lifted you from the street
knowing everything would be different.

Blame is as useful as a broken chain,
as the decision I made day after day

to let you run free.  Free, you lay
on the rain-stricken street

silver-eyed, without breath,
black curls tight against your perfect chest.

The vet said it was quick, your unmarred body
dying on the inside, all the organs crying together.

Dog of the many days, of the city, of the desert,
I hear the jangle of your collar in my dreams.

I see you standing on the stairs
or racing down the hill, explaining in your best way

that you want to come too.  That you'll be a good boy.
That you remember everything I ever taught you.

1 comment: